The Spanish holidays “Día de la Constitución” (Day of the Constitution, on 6 December) and the “Immaculate Conception of Mary” (on 8 December) are only just gone, and already we’ve received the first greeting of “Feliz año Nuevo!” from the girl behind the supermarket counter. “Happy New Year” – but what about the “Merry Christmas”? And where is the delicious game at the butcher’s for our Christmas meal? Besides rabbit and the occasional wild boar, there is little game to be found in Ibiza.
Christmas here is celebrated at home, traditionally with the family, where mothers make a stew that includes blood sausage and bacon!
And on New Year’s Eve, everyone watches the TV just before midnight. Sitting down, with your bowl of 12 grapes on your lap, you look at the clock tower of the Sol Square in Madrid, and at every stroke of midnight you consume one grape. Take out the pips in advance, that makes them easier to swallow.
The Spaniards stay in until well after 12 o’clock, after which, dressed to the nines, they go to a party in a neighbourhood disco or a big club. So don’t expect your Ibiza neighbours to be out in the street at midnight with fireworks to wish each other a happy New Year.
This year, many restaurants closed their doors at the end of October, not opening again until Easter, and club Pacha is being renovated.
So where can we go during the holiday season?
One Villas Ibiza has gathered some of the nicest restaurants that are offering a Christmas menu or NYE parties for you.
- The Boat House at Cala Vicente.
In December The Boat House kitchen is open all days from 09:30 AM to 9:30 PM! On 24, 25 and 31 December from 9:30 AM to 5 PM.
No special Christmas menu but à la carte. This restaurant has a fireplace. It’s advisable to book: +34 971 32 42 45.
2. Cotton Beach Club at Cala Tarida.
Cotton Beach Club is open from the 2nd of December to the 7th of January! This restaurant has a fireplace. On Saturdays and Sundays they have a Bloody Mary/Champagne Brunch.
With Christmas only À la carte. New Year party with “Suit & Tie” dresscode from 10 PM until early the next morning. Tickets 120 euro. It’s advisable to book: +34 971 806 180.
3. White Beach Club in Playa den Bossa.
In December White Beach Club is open all days until 6 PM. On Saturdays they offer a 20 euro “Cocido Madrileño” a typical winter meal from Madrid: stew with bacon, chicken, black pudding and chickpeas.
On 24, 25 and 31 December White Beach Club offers a Christmas menu of 35 euro. It’s advisable to book: +34 871 517 662.
4. Vino & Co Champagne & Croquettes, on the road to Sant Josep. Friday the 29th of December from 4 PM to midnight.
5. Restaurant Gare du Nord in San Juan. Early Christmas Dinner on the 24th of December from 4 PM to 9 PM. A Chef’s Choice Menu for 55 euro (excl. drinks). It’s advisable to book: +34 971 333 602.
6. Casa Colonial on the road to Santa Eularia. A “Menu de Navidad” offer of 68 euro (excl. drinks). It’s advisable to book: +34 971 33 80 01.
7. The “Sluiz Food Factory Christmas Edition” in Santa Gertrudis on the 17th of December.
8. Or the “Sluiz Christmas Dinnershow” in Sant Josep on 23, 24 and 25 December. A five-course menu including a dinner show. It’s advisable to book: +34 635 06 80 85.
9. The restaurant of Atzaro has a lot of plans coming Christmas! On Christmas Eve a menu of 90 euro, on the 25th of December a Christmas lunch of 100 euro and on New Year’s Eve a dinner of 120 euro (all menu’s are excl. drinks). It’s advisable to book: +34 971 338 838.
10. New Year’s Eve at Club Heart, Marina Botafoc. On the 31st of December from 11 PM to 6 AM. With DJ Luciano!
11. “Nochevieja” (NYE) at Hotel Montesol, Ibiza city. On the 31st of December from 8 PM to 4 PM. With a seven-course Christmas Menu of 190 euro (excl. drinks). It’s advisable to book: +34 871 51 50 49.
12. NYE with the Melon Bomb DJ’s at Malanga cafe, Ibiza city. On the 31st of December from 10 PM to 6 AM. Tickets at the door for 10 euro.
13. And, of course, we will all be eating some Dutch “oliebollen” at Sluiz in Santa Gertrudis on the 31st of December!
14. On New Year’s day from 1 PM we all go jumping into the cold sea of Las Salinas during The New Year Dive of Vino & Co! This wine bar Vino & Co brings free bubbles and wine, so please bring snacks to share.
15. And for the real diehards: Circoloco at DC10. On New Year’s Day from 4 PM.
From a sunny Ibiza, the One Villas Ibiza team sends you all season’s greetings and wishes you a happy but most importantly healthy 2018. Keep an eye on our blog and our social media for the latest tips for the holiday period.